Sunday, September 16, 2012

My Left-Handed Girls

 Madison and Bailee are both left-handed.  The girls have never complained about living in a right-handed world.  I've been thinking about it a little more lately and thought maybe I should give their left-handedness a bit more attention, for their convenience. :)

 
I discovered that International Left-Handers' Day is August 13th, which will be easy to remember because that is also my mom's birthday!
 
"The idea of Left-Handers' Day is of everyone to celebrate in fun, practical ways, making right handed family members/friends/colleagues realize how "dexterous" we have to be because we are constantly adapting a right-handed world to work for a left-hander. Getting right handers to do everything left-handed for the day is a great way to make the point!"
 
Ideas of things to do in the Kitchen
 
  • Fill & pour pitchers
  • Pour from milk/measuring cups/spoons
  • Open tin cans with a can opener
  • Peel vegetables/fruit
  • Use microwave (controls are often positioned on right of the equipment)
  • Using spatulas (angled ones go the wrong way for left hand use)
  • Cutting bread
  • Eating & drinking - reverse cutlery and have drink in left hand
  • Cutting - using right-handed scissors in left hand is an excellent example of totally right-biased design that doesn't work well.
  • Using scissors can be an activity for any room in the house.


  • Here are some fascinating facts I discovered on www.lefthandersday.com
      
    Left-handers adjust more readily to seeing underwater.

    Left-handers excel particularly in tennis, baseball, swimming and fencing.

    Left-handers usually reach puberty 4 to 5 months after right-handers.

    4 of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh computer were left-handed

    1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed - 250% more than the normal level.
     
    Stuttering and dyslexia occur more often in left-handers (particularly if they are forced to change their writing hand as a child, like King of England George VI).
     



    4 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Ahh, I didn't know they were both left handed. I have one who is a lefty, maybe two...not sure about Ella yet.

    Mindy said...

    My brother's birthday is August 13th, and he's left handed... how coincidental!

    CarrieLu and Madi too said...

    That is funny Mindy. :) You'd better let him know.

    Unknown said...

    I didn't know both the girls were left-handed! It's cool that they can share that trait :)