Sunday, March 25, 2012

Calgon Take Me Away!!

Does anyone besides me, remember those bubble bath commercials, "Calgon take me away!  I would like to have been taken away this week, in a nice bubble bath, but no such luck!  Let me just say, it has once again been brought to my attention, the amazing amount of work nurses, hospice care givers, etcetera, provide.  The reason I've been thinking about this, is because we've been dealing with lots of health issues this week, nothing traumatic, but none the less making a presence.  It began Sunday evening when Ashton started vomiting and running a temperature.  Thankfully he only threw up 3 times, seems it was a 24 hour bug he had.  His temperature rose to 102 degrees Sunday night, which was a concern, but it was down the next morning.  I took him to the doctor on Tuesday to receive his immunizations.  After giving him a check up, the doctor gave his okay for Ashton to get his shots.  Ash handled them well enough, but with the recent illness and now the shots he hasn't been feeling his perkiest.  Plus, he's got two teeth on the verge of breaking through, poor little boy.  I hope they hurry up and get through so he can be out of pain. 
Now, to backtrack a little, before Ash and I left to go to the doc, Jeff informed me that he was going to do some more work on getting the dead tree in our backyard knocked down.  I gave him a wifely warning that he should leave the tree alone......Do you think he listened??



Jeff was pulling on one of the limbs, the twine broke and before he knew what had happened, he was sitting on the ground with his left foot tucked in an awkward, uncomfortable position underneath him.  Ashton and I arrived back at home in time to find Jeff still sitting on the ground in our backyard.  I could tell immediately that something was not right.  I first saw him out of the dining room window and my eyes automatically scanned his body for signs of blood.  I quickly went into the backyard to find out what was wrong.  We all went back inside and got his leg elevated with ice packs on his ankle.  He went into urgent care later that evening, which I'm glad he did.  He's trying to get into see a specialist.  We're really, really hoping that it's not serious and will heal quickly.
The same day of Ashton's doctors visit and Jeff's fracture, Madison threw up twice at school and came home early.  She felt much better by that evening, thank goodness! 
The next day was Wednesday, and we headed out to Utah County that morning to see my mom who was having surgery to remove part of her thyroid and to fix her hernia.  Her surgeries went well and her recovery is going well enough.  It's always tough recovering from surgeries, I feel for her.  Hopefully she'll be in less pain shortly and not have to endure anymore surgeries and such for a while.  Speaking of pain, the traffic and road work in Orem is horrendous!!  I feel for all of our friends and family who live there.
So, needless to say we've dealt with some medical issues this week.  I could feel myself shutting down a bit during the past couple of days.  I was trying to move quickly to get things done so we could go out of town, etc. but it was so hard with the stress I was feeling, I felt like I was trying to move through water.  Worrying about loved ones and taking care of sick and injured people takes it's toll. 
Anyhow, life goes on.....and so does this story.  To be continued...

2 comments:

Maleen said...

So not fun. I hope everyone is in tip-top shape really soon. And oddly, your lemony background makes me really happy.

Mindy said...

I'm so sorry you've had so much bad luck!! Let me know if I can do anything for you. Hugs and love.