Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Really Bad Saturday

Yesterday (Saturday) was such a bad day, I thought I'd better document it.  Maybe I can laugh about it one day....

 So, Rooks the little boy I watch twice a week, stayed with us for a few days, Thursday, May 2 through Saturday, May 4.  His parents went out of town to celebrate Rooks' grandparents 50th wedding anniversary.  They trust me to watch Rooks and know that he's accustomed to our home.  All went well with him here.  He is a cute boy, very sweet and fun, but he is also very loud, consistently and continuously loud.  He has a strong voice.  He is also demanding of me, he wants me to be around him about 95% of the time.  I forgot to mention he'll be a year old on June 11th.  Anyway, so when Saturday got here we were kinda ready to get our life back to normal with just our family.  We love Rooks, but our ears were bleeding by that point, haha!

I caught a photo of Rooks sleeping in the van.  He looks pretty comfy.
Around noon on Saturday, we (Madison, Bailee, Ashton, Rooks and I) went for a short drive to get out of the house.  All the kids were loaded in the van and I went out and got in too.  I soon realized that I didn't have the keys and I asked the girls if they had them, which they often do.  This time they didn't though....crud.  We were locked out and Jeff was at work.  Madison and I got out of the van to look around and see if there were any open doors or windows.  Madison was a little angel and found that our back door was unlocked, which is totally shocking!  I was so happy that she tried it.  I'd gone back to the van and was just about to text Jeff telling him of our dilemma when she walked out of the garage door carrying the keys!  I was pretty surprised and thankful.  So, then we went on the drive.  (note to self: get spare keys made!)

Rooks parents got here about 3:30 to pick him up.  Then the kids and I went to a plant nursery in north Vernal.  I love that nursery.  It was really relaxing there and all went well.  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was/am sick.  I came down with it Thursday.  An annoying head cold.  When I would lean over to do things, my nose would drip just like water was running out.  When we were at the nursery I leaned over to look at the plants and my nose dripped.  The owners should hire me for helping to water the plants.  Just kidding, I don't think any got on the plants.

Things went so well at the nursery that I thought we should go to Smith's to get a few groceries.  Ashton is going through a wonderful stage where he hates to be in a shopping cart and he hates to go shopping.  He throws big, embarrassing fits!  He was also tired because he'd taken a cat nap on our drive earlier in the day and hadn't taken his normal 3-4 hour nap.  As soon as I tried to put him in the cart, he started screeching.  He screeched so loudly that people turned and looked at us.  So, I put him in the back of the cart with a lollipop to keep him content.  I was hurrying through the store and we only needed to get a few things.  By the time we got across to the other side of the store, Ashton was being a real pill and wouldn't sit down.  So, he was holding on while standing up in the back of the cart.  I turned to go down an isle, he lost his grip and fell over the side. SIGH................................................................It was horrible.  I tried to break his fall, but I couldn't.  I barely grabbed his pants, I at least wanted to soften the fall.  He fell right over the side and landed on his back, hitting his head.  I felt/feel like the worst mother...He cried and cried.  People stopped and stared.  A woman asked if he was okay, I nodded while holding Ashton and trying to console him.  I felt like the biggest louse.  We went onto an isle to have a little more privacy.  A man walked by and asked if he'd fallen out of the cart, I said, "Yes",  he said they'd had that happen to one of their children and that he was sorry.  He was very kind.  He was like a guardian angel there to give me a little bit of consolation.  After he walked past, a petite and well off looking lady walked by and gave me a snooty, judgmental look.  A minute later that same guy who had talked to me, came back down the isle walked past us and looked me right in my sad eyes and said, "I'm sorry", I said, "Thank you".  I'm grateful he was there.

We made if out of the store, barely, then we went to McDonald's.  I thought getting a yummy drink would give us a little boost.  I ordered our drinks, a wild berry smoothie for me, 2 frozen strawberry lemonades for the girls and a sprite for Ashton.  Of course they were out of the smoothie that I wanted, ugh!  I got everyone else's drinks and we went home.

Jeff came home from work.  He and I were having an issue that day which had started the night before.  He's a germaphobe and I'm sick.  Not a good combination.  I don't get sick very often, and when I do, he has a hard time.  I had also been sick the end of last week vomiting   I was the only one who got it, which was very unusual, but I'm glad no one else did.  Anyway, a sick wife needing a little extra tlc and a husband who hates being around sick people, does not equal a happy ending, just kidding.  We were having a little martial strife, but we got it worked out when he got home.

It was sure a bad day, and I'm sure glad it's over.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Poor Ashton and mama. I've had one child fall out of the cart and when I saw that he was going over my ninja skills kicked in and I leaped to the side and grabbed him by the foot. Barely caught him in time. My older kids thought I really was a super hero.